This is a statue of Commodore Stephen Decatur (1779-1820) located in Decatur, Illinois. Behind him depicts the Battle of Tripoli of 1804 and four original pillars from the original Decatur High School. This statue is the work of sculptor John David Brein and dedicated on November 16, 1952. There are only two known statues of Stephen Decatur (other is located in Decatur, Georgia). “Our country in her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right but our country right or wrong.”



Source by bobbitt0244

Leave a Reply